I finally joined Food Connect and picked up my first produce box last Wednesday. I found out about Food Connect months ago, when I was googling for suppliers of local produce. I was researching the concept of food miles and looking for food sourced within a small radius of Brisbane. I loved the idea of Food Connect but told myself the reason I was not subscribing, is that I already spend most weekends visiting various farmers markets.
I decided last week, that a good supply of organic produce, sourced directly from local farmers and obtained without having to scavenge the markets, was too good to continue to pass up.
With Food Connect, the journey from paddock to plate is nice and simple. Produce is sourced from about 80 local farmers, within a 500 kilometre radius of Brisbane (most of it comes from within 2 hours of Brisbane). Each week the harvest is delivered to the homestead and packaged into boxes.The boxes are delivered to ‘city cousins’ (people in various suburbs that volunteer their garage space to be a weekly convenient collection point for subscribers). My city cousin is only a few blocks away.
Food Connect is a community shared agriculture program. You have to subscribe to the service and pay for 6 weeks up front. This gives the farmers security as it guarantees a market for half a season.
What I like most about Food Connect:-
- All produce is chemical free and most of it is organically grown.
- On the website you can check out the expected harvest for the week and it’s origin. How cool is that.
- I can read the profile of the farmers and find out their story.
- I live in a unit so delivery of products is problematic if I am not home. I love being able to pick up my box anytime on a Wednesday afternoon.
- I can add extra items to my order each week (cut off is 12 noon the day before), with the online ordering system.
- I am part of a community that cares about making a real connection with our food.
- I am part of a better, more equitable way of distributing local produce in a socially responsible way.
I am picking up my second box tomorrow. I have ordered a few extras; bio dynamic rice, single origin coffee from Northern New South Wales and some bio dynamic flour.
I am a very new subscriber but a massive fan.